Chemistry Placement Exam
The Chemistry Placement Exam will continue to be administered remotely for the immediate future. Please see below for testing schedule and registration instructions.
2022-23 First Year students see the notice in the registration section.
This is a test for placement into WSU Chemistry classes, NOT for course credit. If you are interested in credit by exam, please visit the CLEP page for more information.
Several introductory courses at Wayne State University (WSU) are taught with the expectation that the student has attained a certain level of prior knowledge and skill in the subject. Placement tests have been designed to ensure that you have the required prior knowledge before taking a class. It is better to be placed into a lower level course by an examination than to fail a higher-level course for which you are not adequately prepared. Prepare to do your best by reviewing the material on the web sites indicated and getting plenty of rest the night before your exam(s).
The Chemistry Placement Examination is for those students wishing to enroll in CHM 1040, or CHM 1100/1125 and CHM 1130, the laboratory co-requisite. The examination is a computer-based 40-item multiple-choice test, timed for 120 minutes. The exam content is based on a one-year high school chemistry course that included a laboratory. A periodic table with additional reference information is provided. A non-graphing/non-programmable calculator is allowed and is required to complete the mathematical calculations on the exam. Review material is available at http://www.chem.wayne.edu/students/undergrad_placement.html. This examination may only be taken once per semester. Test results are valid for four semesters.
Students are required to achieve Mathematics Placement beyond MAT 0993 prior to enrollment in CHM 1040. Questions about pre-requisite requirements for Chemistry courses can be directed to Erin Bachert, Academic Services Officer I, Chemistry Department, at email@example.com.
Note: The course numbers listed above are effective Fall 2021.
Testing during the Fall 2022 semester will be available on the following dates:
The test can be started at any time after 9:30 a.m. and must be completed no later than 8:30 a.m. the next day.
Once a test date has closed, it will no longer be displayed in our Automated System for Test Registration Online (ASTRO).
How to register for an examination
- Online registration: Click the "ASTRO" button on the bottom of this page. This will lead you to the online registration system where you may pay the $25.00 fee with a credit or debit card and choose your test date. You will receive two email confirmations: one for your payment and the other for registration.
- You should receive your payment confirmation immediately. There may be a delay of up to one hour to receive your registration confirmation.
- If you do not receive your payment confirmation immediately, wait at least one hour before attempting to submit your payment again.
- The registration confirmation will be sent to your WSU email address. If it does not appear in your inbox, check your junk or spam folders.
- The registration confirmation will come from firstname.lastname@example.org
- DO NOT reply to this email.
- If you have not received this confirmation more than one hour after receiving the payment confirmation, or have any questions, send an email to email@example.com.
Notice for 2022-23 first-year students. If you had registered for Orientation and did not take the Chemistry Placement during the summer you have a valid registration available for reschedule. See reschedule directions below. If you cannot reschedule, contact the Testing Office for an explanation or instructions.
- In Person Registration: ***NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE If you wish to pay your test fee(s) with a check, money order, or WSU OneCard, come to Testing, Evaluation and Research Services, Room 686 Student Center Building, 5221 Gullen Mall (map). Make your check or money order payable to Wayne State University. You may also use our public computer to make your credit card payment. Cash will not be accepted.
Prior to and on the day of the examination
- You will be sent detailed instructions by 6:00 p.m. the day before the exam.
- These instructions will be sent to your WSU access ID email address. If you do not find them in your inbox, check your Junk or Spam folders.
- If you have not receieved them send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and they will be resent the morning of the exam.
- The test will be administered through the Canvas Learning Management System. You log into this system using your own WSU Access ID and password. Scratch paper is allowed.
Rescheduling and refunds
- You may reschedule a test registration a maximum of three times per fee payment.
- To reschedule log into ASTRO, select My Exams
- Exams available for reschedule will be presented, select the exam and date you want.
- An upcoming test reschedule can be made the day before the test and the day after the test, but not the day of the test.
- We do not recommend using the postpone option within ASTRO.
- A refund can be processed only if it is made before the day of the examination. Requests for refunds made on or after the examination date, or after the third reschedule, cannot be honored.
- Examination fees not rescheduled or refunded are subject to forfeiture after one calendar year.
- Test fees are subject to change without notice.
If you have a documented disability that requires testing accommodations, you will need to register with Student Disability Services for coordination of these accommodations. The Student Disability Services (SDS) office is located at 1600 David Adamany Undergraduate Library in the Student Academic Success Services Department. To schedule an appointment, call 313-577-1851. Information about SDS can be found at http://studentdisability.wayne.edu/ .
Click ASTRO to go to our online registration system once you have read and understood the above instructions