College-level exam program (CLEP)
The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a national, computer-based, credit-by-examination program sponsored The College Board. The Wayne State Testing Office is an open CLEP testing center, meaning we administer the test for both WSU Students and non-students testing for other schools/institutions.
Every school or institution that utilizes the program sets their own policy regarding which of the 34 CLEP exams they will accept, what passing scores are required, and what courses and how many credits will be awarded. Individuals are responsible for obtaining their college's CLEP credit-granting policy and determining which CLEP test is appropriate for them.
The CLEP policy for Wayne State University is available on the Transfer Credit website. Students should also consult with an Academic Advisor to help determine which are appropriate for their program and circumstances.
Non-Wayne State students must check with their institution for its policies.
Wayne State Students: A department may offer course credit in an area CLEP does not cover. Get more information about the Departmental Credit by Exam program.
CLEP testing is also available through Remote Proctoring online: by the College Board. This link provides both technical requirements and registration instructions.
Steps to register for CLEP testing.
Please review this entire web site before following these steps.
- Determine which CLEP exam you want to take. ·
- non-Wayne students, consult with your institution.
- Determine the CLEP date you would like from the schedule below.
- Register for a test date by clicking on the ASTRO button at the bottom of the page. The registration process includes making the service fee payment through the E-Market payment system using a credit or debit card.
- Please note that you may only take one CLEP test per test date.
Once you have performed the above steps, you have secured your test date, but the process doesn’t end there:
- Select the CLEP test you would like to take on the CLEP website.
- As part of this process, you will create a CLEP account. You must use the name that matches your government-issued ID, which you will bring to the test administration, as CLEP requires, even if that name differs from your university record. See essential policies below.
- Print your CLEP registration ticket to bring with you to the test.
Essential policies to note before you register.
- When registering on the CLEP website, you must enter your full legal name as it appears on the government-issued signed photo ID you intend to use for the exam. Nicknames or Wayne State University preferred names cannot be used.
- CLEP examinations of the same title may not be repeated within three months of the original test date.
- CLEP scores earned in violation of the CLEP retest policy will be canceled, and test fees forfeited.
- When you make your payment to CLEP, they refer to it as Registering for an Exam. Note that making your payment to CLEP does not secure your test date. It is recommended that you register with the testing center before you make your payment to CLEP.
- Accommodation for documented disabilities can be obtained. If you have a documented disability requiring testing accommodations, please register with Student Disability Services (SDS) to coordinate your CLEP accommodations. DO NOT register for a date until you have made these arrangements.
Fees and reschedule policy.
- The CLEP service fee is $30.00 per test, payable to Wayne State University at the time of scheduling.
- Service fees are not refundable.
- Registered test dates may be rescheduled prior to the scheduled test date. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you must reschedule. Reschedule requests after the test date cannot be honored.
- Effective 7/1/23, the CLEP test fee is $93.00 per test. You create your account and purchase your test (the CLEP website says “Register for an Exam”) at the CLEP website after you have scheduled your date.
- When completing your CLEP registration, use your full first and last names exactly as they appear on your government-issued ID, even if they differ from the name you use with your university.
- The CLEP test fee must be used by a certain date which will be identified on your CLEP Registration Ticket.
- The CLEP test fee is refundable up to 7 days from the date of purchase; see the CLEP Information for Test Takers bulletin for refund policies.
- CLEP service and exam fees are subject to change without notice.
Prep class and fee waiver availability
The Modern States Education Alliance provides free online CLEP courses and vouchers for the CLEP test fee. Get more information about the Freshman Year for Free program.
On the day of the exam
Note the current University Covid-19 protocols.
- Masks are optional in most campus locations, including the testing lab.
- If worn, masks must be lowered briefly for ID check.
Bring your CLEP Registration Ticket for the test you intend to take. You may only use one registration ticket per test date.
One form of government-issued identification is required.
- It must be valid and current with the test taker's full name in English characters, a photograph, and a signature.
- The name on the identification must exactly match the name on the Registration Ticket, including the order of the names.
- Acceptable forms of identification include a current driver's license, State ID, or passport. Unacceptable forms of identification include a student ID, credit or debit card, a Social Security Card, or an Employee ID.
- If you cannot present acceptable identification, you cannot be tested. Test service fees will be forfeited in this case.
Reporting; suggestions/admitting order.
- Report to the Testing Lab, room 679 Student Center Building (campus map).
- Suggested reporting time is 15 minutes before the scheduled exam start time.
- Examinees will be admitted to the testing room in order of arrival. Admitting may begin before the scheduled start time.
- Students may begin testing immediately after being directed to their station.
- Do not bring aids of any kind (e.g., a calculator, periodic table). Any aid permitted for your exam is included in the test software.
- Food, beverages, books, papers, cell phones, pagers, digital watches, mechanical pencils, hats (unless worn as a religious requirement), etc., are also not permitted. Scratch paper and pencils will be provided.
- Read the CLEP Information for Test Takers bulletin for a complete list of prohibited items and other details about the
- You will be required to lock up all personal belongings, including those in your pockets, in a locker 12" wide x 16" deep X 11" high.
There are no scheduled breaks during testing. Examinees may leave the room briefly to use the restroom or take medication, however, their testing clock will continue to run during the break, and they may not leave the sixth floor. Examinees may not leave during pauses between sections on multiple section tests.
The CLEP examination is not administered on a walk-in basis. You must register at least one business day before your selected test date. There is no standby registration available.
The dates listed below indicate when the exam will be administered. Only the open test dates will appear in ASTRO. Additional dates will be posted shortly.
Additional dates may appear in ASTRO before they appear on this webpage. If you cannot test on any of the above dates or other dates listed in ASTRO, you may contact the Testing Office at email@example.com to inquire about other options.
Schedule your test date
Once you have reviewed the above instructions, schedule your test date using our online ASTRO registration system.