College-Level Exam Program (CLEP)
July 14, 2022
We are happy to announce that we are resuming CLEP testing for Wayne State and the local community.
Per Covid-19 protocols, we are scheduling small group sessions. The schedule is noted below. If none of these dates are convenient, individual arrangements can be discussed. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire.
CLEP testing is also available online: Click here for information.. Windows operating system, Version 10 is required. Windows 11 is not supported.
Wayne State Students: A department may offer course credit in an area CLEP does not cover. Please visit this web site to learn more about the Departmental Credit by Exam program.
CLEP exam description and Wayne State CLEP policies are below:
The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a national computer-based credit-by-examination program. Exams are timed for either 90 or 120 minutes. Total administration time is approximately 30 minutes longer.
You are responsible for obtaining your college's CLEP credit-granting policy and determining which CLEP test is appropriate. The CLEP policy for Wayne State University is available through Transfer Credit.
Non-Wayne State students must check with their institution for its policies.
CLEP examination names, descriptions, and CLEP Exam Study Guides are available on the CLEP website.
Essential policies to note before you register.
When registering on the CLEP website, you must enter your full legal name as it appears on the government-issued signed photo ID you intend to use for the exam. Nicknames or Wayne State University preferred names cannot be used.
- CLEP examinations of the same title may not be repeated within three months of the original test date.
- CLEP scores earned in violation of the CLEP retest policy will be canceled, and test fees forfeited.
- Accommodation for documented disabilities can be obtained. If you have a documented disability requiring testing accommodations, please register with Student Disability Services (SDS) to coordinate your CLEP accommodations.
- The CLEP service fee is $30.00 per test, payable to Wayne State University at the time of scheduling. Service fees are non-transferable and non-refundable.
- Service fees paid and not used due to test cancellation during Winter 2020 may be used until January 2023.
- Contact the Testing Office if you believe you have these fees available.
Please schedule your date with Testing before registering through CLEP.
- Effective 7/1/22, the CLEP test fee is $90.00 per test. You should create your account and purchase your test through the CLEP website after you have scheduled your date.
- When completing your CLEP registration, use your full first and last names exactly as they appear on your government-issued ID, even if they differ from the name you use with your university.
- CLEP service and exam fees are subject to change without notice.
Freshman year for free program
The Modern States Education Alliance provides free online CLEP courses and vouchers for CLEP fees. Click the link for information about the Freshman Year for Free program.
On the day of the exam
Note the current University Covid-19 protocols.
- Masks are required in the testing lab but must be lowered briefly for ID check outside the testing lab.
- A completed Daily Screener or Guest Screener must be presented to enter the Student Center Building.
One form of government-issued identification is required.
- It must be valid and current with the test taker's full name in English characters, a photograph, and a signature.
- The name on the identification must exactly match the name on the Registration Ticket, including the order of the names.
- Acceptable forms of identification include a current driver's license, State ID, or passport. Unacceptable forms of identification include a student ID, credit or debit card, a Social Security Card, or an Employee ID.
- If you cannot present acceptable identification, you cannot be tested.
Bring your CLEP Registration Ticket for the test you intend to take. You may only use one registration ticket per test date.
- Do not bring aids of any kind (e.g., a calculator, periodic table). Any aid permitted for your exam is included in the test software.
- Food, beverages, books, papers, cell phones, pagers, digital watches, mechanical pencils, hats (unless worn as a religious requirement), etc., are also not permitted. Scratch paper and pencils will be provided.
- Read the CLEP Information for Test Takers for a complete list of prohibited items.
- You will be required to lock up all personal belongings, including those in your pockets, in a locker 12" wide x 16" deep X 11" high.
- Report to the Testing Lab, room 679 Student Center Building (campus map).
- Suggested reporting 15 – 30 minutes before the scheduled exam start time.
- Examinees will be admitted to the testing room in order of arrival. They may begin testing immediately after being directed to their station.
There are no scheduled breaks during Testing. Although examinees may leave the room briefly to use the restroom or take medication, their testing clock will continue to run during the break, and they may not leave the sixth floor.
The CLEP examination is not administered on a walk-in basis. You may register up to three working days before your selected test date. There is no standby registration available.
The dates listed below indicate when the exam will be administered. Only the open test dates will appear in ASTRO.
More dates to be added soon. Dates may appear in ASTRO before they appear on this list.
If you cannot test on any of the above dates, or other dates listed in ASTRO, you may contact the Testing Office at email@example.com to inquire about other options.
Steps to register for CLEP testing
- Select the CLEP date you would like to take the test in ASTRO.
- Register online by clicking on the ASTRO button at the bottom of the page or register in person using our office computer. We accept credit cards, debit cards, and One Card (in person only).
- Please note that you may only take one CLEP test per test date.
- Select the CLEP test you would like to take on the CLEP website.
- Please remember to use the name that matches your government-issued id, which you will bring to the test administration, as CLEP requires.
- Print your CLEP registration ticket to bring with you to the test.
If you have a documented disability requiring testing accommodations, please register with Student Disability Services (SDS) to coordinate your CLEP accommodations.
SCHEDULE YOUR TEST DATE
Once you have reviewed the above instructions and you want to schedule your test date, please click on the link below.